Saturday, July 2, 2011

Where to Begin?

I have lots to write about and stories to relate but i find myself at a loss for where to begin. I guess going chronologically would be best.  I will try to refrain from getting bogged town in the nitty-gritty details and instead to simply convey what I was fortunate enough to experience over this last month.

I will add pictures as I go but to be honest i did not take as many as i would have liked to. most of the time we were moving fast and didn't have time to stop fro pictures even when we did see something interesting. From 3am to 9am most mornings we had to stay focused and move from one point to another with little time to spare.  After 9am the birds stop singing with the same tenacity they display earlier in the day.  Anyways, I will put up the pictures I was able to take mention the things i didn't.

For now here is the abbreviate list of sightings and accomplishments:


5 rides in float planes
3 rides in helicopters
6 completed plots
98 completed points

Chalatna ALMS plot and points
Beavers, Moose, Muskrats, Black Bears, a Brown Bear, Red Foxes, a Pine Martin, a Wood Frog Voles, Marmots, Pikas, and the absolute best of all... the top of the top... a Lynx!



I dont want to even attempt to list all of the birds we saw yet. That will take quite a bit more time. There was around 70 different species of bird that we encountered. Among the highlights were the Northern Shrike, Short-eared Owl, Common Loon, Pacific Loon, Northern Goshawk, Alder and Olive-sided Flycatcher, Least Sandpiper, Hawk Owl, White-winged Crossbills, Spruce Grouse, Horned Lark, Wheatear (migrates from africa!), Lapland Longspur, and finally at the end of it all up in the alpine tundra of the White Mountains I got to see the Willow Ptarmigan.






1 comment: