Thursday, October 27, 2011

An Auspicious Occasion

"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even think to ask."
- Jeff Johnson, 180° South -


I've been in Oregon the last few days reorganizing my gear and hanging out with my brother.  Its a nice farewell to be leaving from one of the friendliest towns in the US.  I am starting to drop back into travel mode now.  I am ready to roll with the punches, excited to meet new people and to take it all in.  Four flights, a train ride, 10,000 miles and 20 hours later I will be sunning on a beach in Western Australia.

I will be greatly missing the national holidays that I have come to love so much.  Thanksgiving is always a good time filled to the brim with great food.  Before leaving Chicago my family and I did have a nice mock thanksgiving dinner so I am not missing out completely.  However without a halloween down under, this year will not be complete.  I have no costume planned and no great idea hidden up my sleeve right now but I fully intend to celebrate what is the best holiday ever, no matter where I am.

I talked with my traveling companion, Adriana, yesterday and we are both more excited than words can describe.  My mind is so dead set on where I am going that I can barely focus on anything else.  Although looking out the window of my train car and heading to Portland is beautiful.  Its early and there is a heavy fog blanketing the Willamette Valley.  Like my future I can only see what lies directly up ahead and no further.  So many people are still asleep, so many are just waking, so many will miss out on the beauty in their own backyard but will dream instead of a foreign paradise.  Today I am lucky enough to experience both, from a unique sunrise over the verdant green of the Oregon Cascades to the unknown treasures that will greet me in a distant land.

Noah and I on my last day in the US

No comments:

Post a Comment