Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sure Hope The Earth Doesn't End Tomorrow

The wind really picked up here today which is supposedly very unusual and dangerous in the interior of Alaska.  Suddenly two different wildfires sprung up just barely outside of town.  While driving around we could see massive plumes of smoke rising up and at one point you could actually make out the flames licking up the hillside.  Several friends of the people I am staying with have been evacuating their homes as the fires have spread.  Don't be too alarmed though because the fires are not to close to where I am staying and they have a very good firefighting squad up here to take care of these things.

Tomorrow I am going canoeing down the Upper Chena River with my colleagues and I am sure we will be birding along the way.  Time seems to be moving very fast here and i hope it is not over to quickly.  Every day is so full of activity that I have to find time take a moment and think, read, maybe draw just a bit.  The instant I hit my bed I am out like a light and it feels fantastic.  I have never been able to fall asleep so fast in my entire life.  I have wrestled with falling asleep most of my life and now, in the Alaskan summer where the sun never sets, I am finding sleep where I least expected it to be.

Oh and a "Happy Apocalypse" to all the sinners like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment