Sunday, July 17, 2011

WWOOFing in Homer

A few days ago I arrived in Homer, Alaska.  I went straight from the airport to Small Wonder Farm, a little family run farm trying to become sustainable.  Its an interesting place with a lot of animals and and a lot to do.  As wwoofers trading work for food, we work hard and we get fed well.

My cabin

Hot tub

Work can be anything from building animal enclosures and raised planter beds to caring for animals and preparing them for the kitchen table.  It is great manual labor and every day I finish tired and happy.  This farm in particular is only in the fledgling stages and they do not have much in the way of produce yet but bartering between farms is common and we certainly don't miss out on veggies.



Solar charging

The downside of wwoofing on a fledgling farm is that I am not learning as much as I would like about sustainable practices.  The upside is that they actually let me try out my own ideas which fosters innovation.  I love trying to problem solve odd situations.

This may be a farm but it is not an uncomfortable living.  The main house even has a cedar hot tub on the back porch, though I haven't made use of it yet.  I imagine that it is quite serene to soak in it during the sound dampened snowy winters here. The farm is located on the top of a large ridge overlooking the mountains and glaciers across the inlet.  Everywhere you go the view is extraordinary.

Baby duck mass.

Go Ducks!




Pig pen



Andy the hilarious goat

Roosting Turkeys

Oh the outhouse

I love these planter boxes

A couple rescued swans



The house and foggy mountains in the distance.
Some steps I built Makajawan style
All farmers must own an old truck that wont start.

1 comment:

  1. I like the steps, I recall you working on those at Makajawan, they're probably still in service.

    Those hothouse planters are a wonderful and creative re-purposing of left over stuff, I can see why you like them.

    Your cabin looks perfect.

    Damn you've got it good!

    ReplyDelete